Tuesday, January 11, 2005

The following should be spoken in a broken English accent:

Did I miss this stage direction somewhere? What is it about classical English that prompts some actors to affect a modern British accent? Maybe it wouldn't bug me so much if it was a consistant accent, instead of a word here or there. Yes, there are "thee and thous" in the script, but none of us are English. Granted the play is written by an Irish playwright, but it is not set in the UK. It's set in the Middle East around 27 AD. I doubt anyone living in that time or place spoke English, much less had an English accent. Am I saying that we should adopt accents that would fit the setting? Um, no, I'm not. Just speak in YOUR voice. This isn't fucking Pride and Prejudice, people.

1 Comments:

Blogger Karla said...

This is much belated, SK, but you got many a "Hear Hear!" for this one. Mostly because I used to do Greek tragedy, and had to fight the urge to stab a fork in the eye of actors who decided anything "classical" needed an English accent.

Well done.

January 23, 2005 at 8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links

Powered by Blogger